||The Whitechapel is entering an exciting new phase in its 100-year history; an ambitious £13 million expansion. Following the former Whitechapel library’s move to new facility, the Whitechapel has acquired the building to restore it and keep it open as a free art gallery all year round.
What we will offer
Almost doubling in size the expanded Whitechapel will include;
• A Collection Gallery offering a chance to see important art collections from around the world
• A Commission Gallery with a brand new art work created specially for the building every year
• An Archive Collection Gallery and Archive Research Room telling the story of the history of the Gallery and the local area over the last 100 years.
• An Education and Research Tower for local schools, community groups and offering courses for all
• A new street facing café and full disabled access to the whole building
When we will open
The expanded Whitechapel is due to open in April 2009. Whilst the transformations take place at the Gallery, exhibitions continue off-site with The Street - year-long artist commissions.
Support the expansion
Become a part of the story of modern art and help secure the next 100 years. Click here to find out how to support the expansion.